Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Sip & Bite


What We Ate:

Jack- Antonios' Sip & Bite Supreme Breakfast Sandwich (Egg, Beef, Ham, and Cheese): 3 out of 5 stars
Nate- Chicken Gyro: 4 out of 5 stars
Alec- Beef Gyro: 4 out of 5 stars

    

Sip & Bite
    The recently renovated Sip & Bite was unfortunately closed the first time we went there, and apparently is every Tuesday from 3-11 PM.  We were thoroughly disappointment after this, but came back the next night nonetheless.  This was one of the most diner-esque places that we have gone and probably will go to, although it is Greek in terms of some menu items as well as in history.  Due to how crowded and bustling the place was, I feel that our experience was a bit worse than that of the regulars there.  Allow me to explain...
Beef Gyro w/ Fries
   I originally wanted to go with a meze sampler complete with spanikopita, calamari, and a lamb gyro, but to add to the fact that we had to come back the next day, they were out of lamb as well as calamari.  This was disappointing, so I settled with the beef gyro that came with fries.  The pita was nicely warmed on the griddle, and topped with slices of beef, tzatziki sauce, tomato, and onion.  The beef was tender, abundant, and well spiced.  My biggest problem with the dish was that the tzatziki was pretty bland.  To make matters worse for Nate, he had a lot of it.  I did not have an egregious amount of it on my gyro, so it was not a huge problem for me.  I will definitely be going back to Sip & Bite when I am back in the area to hopefully have a better experience, because I know it has potential.

-Alec

Chicken Gyro
Arriving at Sip & Bite after many meaty meals, I was ready for some authentic Greek cooking.  The chicken gyro was exactly what I needed and really tasted great.  Grilled chicken, onions, tomato, and tzatziki combine in a warm, doughy pita bread that make this classic Greek specialty.  The chicken was succulent and the tzatziki added an excellent creamy and tangy flavor.  My one complaint about the gyro was the amount of tzatziki used.  There was a bit too much for my liking, and it seemed to hide some of the flavor of the chicken.  I found this gyro to be among the best in the area and it is completely worth $8.50.  If you are in the mood for diner favorites and Greek cooking, Sip & Bite will solve those cravings.
-Nate
Today at Sip & Bite I had the Antonios’ Sip & Bite Supreme Breakfast Sandwich. Unfortunately, it wasn’t up to par with the rest of our project; however, it wasn’t too bad either. It consisted of a nicely cooked beef patty with a fried egg, some ham, and delicious melted cheese all in between two pieces of toast. While Sip & Bite wasn’t my favorite stop on the trip so far, I must say that Alec’s and Nate’s gyros looked very appetizing. I went with the non-Greek cuisine at the heavily Greek destination. Overall I gave the sandwich a 3 out of 5. I can't say that it was a bad sandwich, but considering this trip and all the other delicious opportunities, I could’ve been more impressed.

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment