Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Chap's Pit Beef

What We Ate:

Alec- The Triple D (Beef, Corned Beef, Italian Sausage): 4 out of 5 stars
Jack- The Raven (Turkey, Corned Beef, Beef)
       - Cheese Fries
Nate- Original Pit Beef: 5 out of 5 stars
Super Special Guest Alex Bonatti- The Best Sandwich Guy Ever Ate (Beef, Ham, Turkey)



The three champions emerge post-meal

Note the Guy Fieri poster in the top left (he
 signs his name with an exclamation point)
     As soon as we opened up our car doors to walk into Chap's, all we could say was, "wow."  It was a good introduction to America for our barely-English-speaking Austrian guest Alex, as the smell wafting over from the building was enough to make all of our mouths water instantly.  This is always a good sign of things to come.  Sure enough, as we approached the entrance, there was another tell-tale sign of good food: a long line.  We went to "Baltimore's best" pizza place yesterday, and there was little doubt that we were going to another one of Baltimore's best. Those who visit Chap's quickly understand that the line is part of the experience, and the experience is not going to be a quick one. This is because the cashier at the front of the line was one of the nicest restaurant workers I have ever met, making a point to converse not only about the order with each customer but to make their experience that much more enjoyable with a few minutes of small talk.  Upon hearing about our senior project, she pointed me to "The Triple D," a legendary sandwich Guy himself came up with during his visit.  She also mentioned that Guy likes Chap's so much that he had them cater a birthday party of his all the way in California.  Anyway, after only a minute's wait our experience continued with interaction with cooks through the pickup window to receive our food.  The friendliness of the cashier was also evident with the other female worker, with whom I had a conversation with (again about our senior project).  After one grabs their food, there are an array of house-made sauces such as a barbeque sauce, as well as a "Tiger" sauce composed of mayonnaise and horse radish. There are also pickles, more horseradish, and red hot pepper spread available to put on your food if you so choose.  This completely wraps up the experience that is Chap's Pit Beef, besides the whole the Pit Beef part. 
-Alec

A whole lot of meat


Our food with various sauces
I do not know what makes the pit beef at Chap's taste so great, but I am sure like many other great recipes, there are a few secret ingredients that will not be disclosed even to health inspectors.  The beef is cooked and marinated in seasonings for many hours before it is thinly sliced and placed on a kaiser roll.  I ordered the classic, as stated on the menu so simply and elegantly, "Beef."  The menu proclaims it is the best in Baltimore, and I would soon find out why this sandwich deserves such praise.  I love how Chap's leaves all of the "fixings" for the customer to add to his or her sandwich.  I tried a few of Chap's special sauces, including the Tiger sauce, homemade BBQ sauce, and hickory sauce.  For my first bite, I had to try it plain in order to focus exclusively on the beef.  The pit beef is incredibly juicy with a ton of natural flavor.  While I could have eaten a few of these delectable sandwiches plain, I had to try the sauces.  The tiger sauce is a spicy blend of horseradish and mayonnaise and found it to enhance the moisture content of the beef.  The waitress that took my order recommended, Tiger sauce with a little bit of the BBQ sauce.  I had to take her suggestion.  Although many visitors at Chap's will rave about the Tiger sauce, the BBQ sauce was one of the best I have ever tried.  I do not normally love BBQ sauce, but this one struck the perfect balance of sweet and tangy.  Nearing the end of my pit beef sandwich, I began to dip french fries in the sauce.  It was that excellent.  If you're looking for the beef, it is located at Chap's Pit Beef in Baltimore, MD.

-Nate







"The Raven" w/side of cheese fries
My experience at Chap's Pit Beef can only be described as extraordinary. From the very first whiff of smoked meat, I knew that I was in for a trip to flavor town. Standing in line was near suicide because of the smells and sights of other customers already sinking their teeth into what would soon be mine. I was designated by the group to get one of the signature dishes at Chap's, and was getting a bit jealous when Alec, Nate, and our guest star Alex Bonatti told me what they were ordering. I was crushed that I would't be eating the signature beef sandwich or Guy's "Triple D", but was ecstatic with what I got. A clutch recommendation steered me in the direction of "The Raven". This was no ordinary sandwich. Stacked high with corned beef, beef, and turkey (3 meats!), "The Raven" did not disappoint. In fact, I deemed this glorious sandwich worthy of my Top Sandwiches of All Time list, a very exclusive list indeed. I added the key ingredients to my meal: hots, Tiger sauce, Hickory-BBQ sauce, and pickles. This manwich, along with side of large cheese fries put me into a food coma for the next few hours. I would definitely recommend Chap's to anyone looking for the best subs in B'more.
                                                                                                                                              -Jack
Our good friend Alex Bonatti ate this monster meal
-

No comments:

Post a Comment