Sunday, May 27, 2012

Katz's Delicatessen

What we ate:

Jack - Pastrami Reuben sandwich w/cream soda: 4.75 out of 5 stars
Nate - Pastrami sandwich w/black cherry soda: 4.75 out of 5 stars
Alec - Pastrami Reuben sandwich w/black cherry soda: 4.75 out of 5 stars

When we left the house for the day, we decided to take the subway down to southern Manhattan rather than walk the long stretch that we did yesterday. One block away from Katz's I could see the line that stretched around the corner. I figure that it must be good with limited eating space inside. What I saw shocked me. We were taken inside after volunteering for sit-down service and I was greeted with a sight that rivaled the NYSE. Hundreds of customers lined up at the counter, seated, and milling around the deli. Lining the walls were numerous pictures of the owner alongside famous customers, and near our table alone were pictures of him with Bill Clinton and Gorbachev (not in the same one thankfully). I perused the menu and quickly decided on the pastrami reuben. When the waiter came by and delivered it, I had a hard time waiting to take pictures before sinking my teeth into this gigantic pile of meat. It was amazingly good, and although I had a hard time keeping the whole thing together, I had no problem getting it all into my stomach. This pastrami earned a 4.75 out of 5 stars in my opinion, and a returning customer.

-Jack

Katz's will from now on be the model deli that I compare all others to.  After being herded into a section with other sit-in diners and waiting for a little bit, we finally sat down and ordered our food.  We had ample time to decide what to get, so as soon as we could we placed our orders.  A complimentary plate of pickles was placed before us, which was composed of classic deli pickles, half-brined pickles, and pickled green tomatoes.  The half-brined pickles were very, very lightly pickled, but on the other hand the other pickles sent a sour chill down my spine (in a good way).  After what felt like hours, we received our sandwiches.  Each half was the size of my fist, and I promptly stuffed it in my face.  The pastrami was thickly cut across the grain and juicy.  Katz's, established in 1888, definitely knew what they were doing. The country bread was no match for the contents of the sandwich in terms of attention, being merely a fraction of its size.  The swiss cheese drooped over the sides of the meat and was pleasantly melted.  I loved how the sourness of sauerkraut contrasted with the sweetness/brininess of the pickle-studded thousand island dressing, which contrasted with the meatiness of the pastrami, which contrasted with the creaminess of the cheese, which contrasted with the complexity of the pastrami seasoning that was found throughout the meat.  To put it in a single clause- it was the perfect bite.

-Alec

Katz's is one of the most famous diners in New York and after this meal I understand.  The massive pastrami sandwich I ordered had amazing flavor.  Pieces of pastrami fell off easily, and it was perfectly seasoned with the right amount of spice.  The juicy pastrami complemented the mustard I put on the sandwich.  After eating one half of the sandwich, it was difficult to finish the second.  However, I was able to complete the enormous sandwich barely contained by the bread.  The packed deli was a unique restaurant that is not entirely replicable.

-Nate




1 comment:

  1. These sandwich photos are slaying me. They completely put to shame the reuben I had today at Booeymonger, which somehow managed to be both soggy AND dry.

    Also, may I recommend this tumblr: http://scanwiches.com/

    ReplyDelete