Monday, May 21, 2012

Blue Moon Cafe

What We Ate:

Jack- Italian Omelet/Hash Browns and a Biscuit: 4.1 out of 5 stars
Alec- Captain Crunch French Toast: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Nate- Full Moon (Captain Crunch French Toast, Scrambled Eggs, and Bacon): 5 out of 5 stars

From foreground to background: Captain Crunch encrusted French Toast, Italian Omelet, and the Full Moon

     There’s usually a hoard of people outside Blue Moon CafĂ© waiting for their turn to eat, and today was no different.  Despite the foul weather, a dozen or so locals lingered under umbrellas out front.  When approaching the restaurant, you understand why: the air radiating from inside smells distinctly of buttery sugar and cinnamon.  The building is very unique, as it is painted various shades of cool hues on every side.  After a wait of 25 long minutes, we were inside. 
      If I could give Blue Moon a single word of description, it would be “local.”  From the artwork on the walls by the local artist Thomas Pearce, to the locals stationed at each table, everything about the restaurant screams “Baltimore.”  Music playing in the background like Vanilla Ice’s “Ice Ice Baby” and a board with a random movie quote updated each day help to complete the playful and more importantly homey ambiance.  Blue Moon was featured on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives for their famous Captain Crunch encrusted French Toast, which we certainly tried (as Nate will cover later).  Unfortunately, they no longer serve a roll stuffed with sausage, cheese, and pesto that I wanted to try.  It is safe to say that we collectively would recommend Blue Moon for an early breakfast/lunch, but be prepared for a wait if you show up past eight o’clock…
-Alec

Hungry locals waiting for 
their party to be called

    

      I will say that I am not the fondest of French toast. Most of the time when I eat it, I find the overuse of egg to be the overpowering demise to a fine culinary creation. Granted, I have never had French toast in France, which I am sure would be quite delicious but in the United States, if given the option between pancakes and French toast, I would probably choose pancakes. I was posed with this choice today as I knew I would order the Full Moon at Blue Moon Cafe in Fells Point. While I am sure the regular French toast at this Baltimore establishment is excellent, I could not pass up one of Blue Moon's specialties, their Captain Crunch encrusted French toast. 



     Do not get me started on how much I love Captain Crunch. The fact that it can be called a cereal is laughable because it contains almost no nutritional value but simultaneously magnificent since its high-sugar taste is one that will always be enjoyable any time of the day. There was no way I could resist ordering this, and I pretty much knew before I got into the restaurant that I had to get my hands on this signature menu item. The Full Moon provides one with two pancakes or slices of French toast, eggs, and two pieces of bacon or sausage. I ordered the French toast, scrambled eggs and bacon. Just to note, if you go to Blue Moon you must request Captain Crunch French toast. It is completely worth the extra two dollars. Alec ordered three pieces of the Captain Crunch French toast, as well. When the waiter brought out the food, I was immediately impressed with the presentation. Unexpectedly, the two pieces of French toast were topped with fresh fruit and homemade whipped cream. It was something so simple, but it greatly enhanced the meal, especially the whipped cream. I added a small amount of syrup and began to eat.   
     This French toast had an incredible buttery flavor and was supremely soft and supple in the middle.  Most importantly for me, there was not an overpowering presence of egg.  The whipped cream gave a great sweetness and milky flavor to the French toast.  The eggs were one of the weak points of the meal.  They were a bit runny and did not have the most natural flavor.  The bacon was excellent and perfectly cooked with a great crisp.  At the time, I was really in the mood for some bacon.  Alec liked the French toast too, but he commented that the syrup was not the best, and the outside was not crispy enough for him.  If this had been improved, he said it would have made the meal.  I will focus on the French toast and disregard the average eggs in this meal and give it 5 stars.  It really was the best French toast I have ever eaten, and I am ready to return for another serving in the future.

-Nate 

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work gentlemen. You are making Crusader Nation proud.

    The too much egg in the French Toast is every cook's dilemma. The French call French Toast, Pain Perdu, "Lost Bread". Stale bread is made soft with the egg and the bread. The French are so clever.

    I am keen to try the Captain Crunch French Toast. I grew up with the Captain and I am pleased to see him prospering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Do not get me started on how much I love Captain Crunch. The fact that it can be called a cereal is laughable because it contains almost no nutritional value but simultaneously magnificent since its high-sugar taste is one that will always be enjoyable any time of the day." Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete