Friday, June 1, 2012

S'mac (Sarita's Mac & Cheese)

What we ate:
Jack - Buffalo Chicken Mac (Cheddar and American Cheese, Chicken, Buffalo Sauce, and Bleu Cheese): 4.5 out of 5 stars
Nate - Alpine Mac (Gruyere, Bacon): 4.75 out of 5 stars
Alec - Cheeseburger Mac (Cheddar and American Cheese, Ground Beef): 4.75 out of 5 stars

Today we headed back down the the lower east side (again) for some famous Mac & Cheese. Sarita's had me pumped up from all the hype on the internet and even on Food Network the same day. It was a very small little shop that even had a takeout section two doors down. While I held our little table (one out of maybe 7 total), Alec and Nate ordered for themselves and for me. I decided on the medium sized Buffalo Chicken Mac. Definitely should've gone with the small. This pasta was so rich with three different cheeses that I could barely finish half. The Bleu, Cheddar, and American combined with the spicy hot sauce just overwhelmed my taste buds. I was very sad that I wasn't able to finish it, however next visit (and there WILL be a next visit) I may order something a bit creamier and more easily consumable. S'Mac was a fantastic spot that I'd recommend to any Mac & Cheese fan.

-Jack

S'mac was recommended to us by a New York resident, and being mac and cheese lovers/ aficionados we decided we urgently needed to go.  I decided on the cheeseburger mac, just because I have not had nearly enough beef in my diet this week.  When we received our food, I first noticed the great crust on top of the mac that I needed to break into as soon as possible.  Upon further investigation, the top was so well done that I dragged my fork across it and it made a nice crusty sound.  The interior of the mac and cheese was gorgeously done.  It was the perfect blend of creamy and firm.  Many mac and cheeses that I have come across (for example the one at Noodles and Company) are cheesy, but are runny at the same time.  The cheeseburger mac at S'mac I could pave my way across, leaving little cheese in my wake.  My one qualm with the dish was, of course, that I would loved to have had more ground beef; however, for $10.75 it was immensely satisfying.

-Alec




I do not have mac and cheese often, but I was looking forward to visiting a restaurant that specialized exclusively in this form of pasta.  The options were endless, but I settled on the medium size Alpine mac and cheese.  Upon delivery to the table, I immediately noticed the bread crumb baked crust on top.  It was a beautiful brown, which made it difficult to wait even a few seconds before digging into the dish.  The gruyere was incredibly rich and creamy.  The mac and cheese had just the right amount of thickly cut bacon, which added a great hard texture and salty flavor to the soft noodles and stringy cheese.  While the medium size is more than enough food, almost too much, I was the only one that was able to finish all of it.  This was by no means easy, and I had to take plenty of breaks, but I was able to polish the pan.  This was a delicious meal in a unique location that to which I will need to return to sample another one of their mac and cheese delicacies.

1 comment:

  1. S'Mac is one of my favorite places to eat in New York. Try the Parisian (brie, shitake mushrooms, rosemary and roasted figs). They also deliver until like 2 in the morning.

    ReplyDelete