Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Guacuco

Later in the evening after Dong Yi Feng, we headed down to Brooklyn to a place famous for its arepas. This place was called Guacuco, and although it was not in the very best neighborhood, this gem gave us quite a meal. I ordered the Parrillada Arepa and a Carne Empanada, both overflowing with Venezuelan culture. My arepa was filled with both chicken and steak with peppers and onions in between a delicious roll. Although it was very hot, I had no problem plunging my face into this arepa for the amazing flavors. The empanada was also very good. We split this up between the three of us and all enjoyed it very much. It was about this size of a burrito, but taco-shaped and laid on its side on top of some amazing drizzled sauce. Overall, Guacuco gave us a last great dinner meal for our trip, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for some amazing Venezuelan cuisine.
-Jack



We crisscrossed New York on our last day to get to dinner at Arepera Guacuco in Brooklyn.  Starting in Queens for lunch, heading to Manhattan for some exercise in Central Park, we took the subway across the water to this Venezuelan restaurant.  We had an excellent experience with arepas the previous night at The Stanton Social, so we had some high expectations.  This time, though, the arepas would be much larger.  I ordered the A Pabellon, which contains shredded beef, cheese, beans, and plantains.  When the arepas arrived at the table, I was stunned by the bread packed with meat.  I noticed the bread most while eating the arepa.  Its warm, doughy texture perfectly holds the ingredients and makes for a soft texture that contrasts with the texture of the meats.  The shredded beef was delicious with a great balance of spice.  The beans were very filling and combined with the cheese, gave the dish the right amount of salt.  The sweetness of plantains were contrasted with the salty flavor of the beans and cheese.  However, I would have liked a few more plantains.  After enjoying the A Pabellon and having more room in my stomach, I ordered the A Pernil, which contains pulled pork shoulder and cheddar cheese.  The bread was once again incredible, but I enjoyed the A Pabellon more than this one.  The pork shoulder was great meat, but it did not have that much flavor.  I was hoping for the dish to be more spicy.  The cheddar cheese enhanced the presentation, but it did not add much to the dish.  I used the three sauces on the table to increase the flavor in this arepa.  There was what appeared to be a chipotle aioli, green sauce, and a spicy mustard.  My favorite sauce was the chipotle aioli, and it added spice and juiciness to the arepa.  While the A Pernil did not quite match the excellent taste of the A Pabellon, this was one of my favorite meals of the entire trip.  I will have to visit Arepera Guacuco again but before that, I need to find an arepa restaurant in Baltimore.

-Nate









1 comment:

  1. Hey Crusaders... It was so nice seeing this post on Arepera Guacuco. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the food and took a trip down to Bushwick, BK ... We will love to have you guys back at the restaurant and try our other incredible juicy arepas. It seems like you guys didnt try the coconut shake :( for next trip I guess.

    Yours truly, Owner of Arepera Guacuco
    Leonardo Molina

    ReplyDelete